Saint Rose students encounter the living God each day and receive the truths of the Faith supported by right reason, enabling them to think clearly, choose wisely, and love rightly. Saint Rose Academy is marked by a richness in celebration of the liturgical year, and it maintains an atmosphere of faith that encourages the faculty, staff and students to live their Christian lives more deeply. Mass is celebrated on campus every week, and the students have regular opportunities for the Sacrament of Penance and for communal devotions that include daily chapel visits, Eucharistic Adoration, the Rosary, and the Lenten Stations of the Cross.
Through the sacraments of the Church, the life of Christ is formed and grows in the children of Saint Rose. Our grade 2 children are prepared by a Dominican sister to receive the sacraments of Penance and Holy Communion for the first time. Our grade 8 students, also under the instruction and guidance of a Dominican sister, are prepared to receive the sacrament of Confirmation. Furthermore, thanks to many generous priests of the Diocese of Birmingham, Mass is celebrated at Saint Rose Academy every Friday, allowing our Catholic students, faculty and staff to receive Holy Communion and Confession.
The Church’s liturgical calendar forms the basis of many traditional events at Saint Rose Academy. These events, which help to form the children in their liturgical and devotional life, include the following:
• Each morning in October (the month of the Holy Rosary) and in May (the month of Our Lady), all Saint Rose students, faculty, and staff gather around the statue of Mary located in the circle drive to pray one decade of the Rosary together. Parents, friends and alumni are always invited to take part.
• During Advent, all Saint Rose families prepare together for the coming of the Lord with our Advent Family Mass. The Mass is preceded by an “O Antiphon” procession.
• We embrace the catholicity of Mardi Gras and prepare for the discipline of Lent with our annual Mardi Gras parade, led by our 5K and grade 1 students.
• Each Friday during Lent, the whole school gathers to pray the Stations of the Cross. Together we walk and pray, commemorating the Lord’s Passion and Death for our salvation.
• May begins with our May Crowning. The whole school, joined by many family members and friends, gathers to pray the Rosary in honor of Mary, our Mother and our Queen. Two grade 8 students have the distinct honor of crowning the statue of our Blessed Mother.
• Throughout the school year we also celebrate many feast days, including Our Lady of Guadalupe, Holy Archangels, and St. Rose of Lima.
Grace before Meals
Grace after Meals
In imitation of Christ who came to serve (cf. Mk. 10:45), the life of faith in the students of Saint Rose Academy is manifested in their service to others. This service includes various class projects that teach students the importance of giving back to the community, service to one another, and daily efforts to be considerate of and helpful to others. Saint Rose students learn from a younger age to practice such kindness as:
• Looking to see if someone needs help with something and offering that assistance.
• Holding the door open for others.
• Praying for those who are sick, suffering, and deceased.